[mythtv-users] Mythzmserver DB problems. Was: doesn't start:...

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 16:06:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 02:39:42PM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 27/04/2021 04:12, A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 01:43:27AM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > >     So basically you need to make sure one of the two *.conf files contains a
> > >     setting for ZM_PATH_MAP (the Ubuntu packages I use do this automatically,
> > >     I'm guessing the deb_multimedia packages use a different name/location for
> > >     the user config file at /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf?)
> > >
> > >     My ZM_PATH_MAP setting is in /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf and looks
> > >     like this :-
> > >
> > >     # Full Path to ZoneMinder's mapped memory files
> > >     # The web account user must have full read/write permission to this
> > >     folder.
> > >     ZM_PATH_MAP=/dev/shm
> > Same here.
> >
> > $ ls -la /dev/shm
> > total 72024
> > drwxrwxrwt  2 root     root           80 Apr 26 22:55 ./
> > drwxr-xr-x 20 root     root         3780 Apr 23 19:17 ../
> > -rw------- 1 postgres postgres    14992 Apr 21 08:05 PostgreSQL.1073826586
> > -rw------- 1 www-data www-data 73733672 Apr 26 22:10 zm.mmap.2
> >
> > I am a member of groups www-data and video.  I start the front-end as myself.
> >
> > This is what's in /etc/group for the relevant groups:
> >
> > www-data:x:33:afc
> > video:x:44:afc,mythtv,motion,www-data
> >
> > Evan after chmod g+rw /etc/shm/zm.mmap.2
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/shm
> > total 72024
> > -rw------- 1 postgres postgres    14992 Apr 21 08:05 PostgreSQL.1073826586
> > -rw-rw---- 1 www-data www-data 73733672 Apr 26 22:10 zm.mmap.2
> >
> > The ZM_PATH_MAP is blank:
>

> So just to be clear do you have a line in either of these conf files
> /etc/zm/zm.conf or /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf like this :-
>
> ZM_PATH_MAP=/dev/shm

Yes.  In /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf there is:

# Full Path to ZoneMinder's mapped memory files
# The web account user must have full read/write permission to this folder.
ZM_PATH_MAP=/dev/shm

> Does the user running mythzmserver have read permission on those files?

I run mythzmserver as root (su):

# mythzmserver -c /etc/zm/zm.conf

As can be seen above, the folder (/dev/shm) has rw permissions for
everyone.

drwxrwxrwt  2 root     root           80 Apr 26 22:55 ./

I just found something interesting.  I had added the ZM_VERSION=1.32.3
to /etc/zm/zm.conf even though at the beginning of that file it says to
add local configuration to a file in /etc/zm/conf.d.  Then mythzmserver
knew about the version.  I just removed that line and instead put in in
/etc/zm/conf.d/03-local.conf.  Upon restarting mythzmserver as root like
this:

# mythzmserver -c /etc/zm/zm.conf

I get the old message back:

  This version of ZM is to old you need 1.14.0 or later ''

So it looks like mythzmserver doesn't see the config files in
/etc/zm/conf.d even though zm apparently goes there somehow.  There is
no include or source statement in /etc/zm/zm.conf for the conf.d
directory.  The only reference to conf.d in /etc/zm/zm.conf is at the
very beginning:

# ==========================================================================
#
# ZoneMinder Base Configuration
#
# ==========================================================================
#
# *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE ***
#
# To make custom changes to the variables below, create a new configuration
# file, with an extention of .conf, under the /etc/zm/conf.d
# folder, containing your desired modifications.
#

As it appears that mythzmserver is not looking at conf.d, maybe that is
the problem.

Furthermore, if I start mythzmserver like this:

# mythzmserver -c /etc/zm/zm.conf -c /etc/zm/conf.d/03-local.conf
ZM is version '1.32.3'
Error: Can't select database: No database selected

It now knows about the version, but since it apparently only reads one
config file parameter, other errors show up.

Just as a reminder, without the -c parameter, mythzmserver attempts to
look at /etc/zm.conf which doesn't exist in debian:

# mythzmserver
Can't open /etc/zm.conf

Maybe the problem is in reading all the necessary configuration files.
It looks like mythzmserver is expecting everything to be in zm.conf.

If there's anything else I can test, please let me know.

Augustine