[mythtv-users] Warning OpenGL not available?

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 12:32:02 UTC 2021

On 25/04/2021 12:28, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 25/04/2021 12:21, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>>> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC
>>> on one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried
>>> launching mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a
>>> temporary message saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>>>
>>> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
>>> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
>>> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and
>>> it played fine.
>>>
>>> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened,
>>> but watch out.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to
>> the Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
>> disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
>> problems in the GUI.
>>
>> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
>> similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it
>> since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or
>> something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory
>> driver?
>>

>> Paul H.
>>
> It may not be a mythtv thing. I'm still on v30 (lack of time) and
> recently had a similar message when trying to view something I knew was
> fine. Sometimes just restarting the front end was enough to clear it. It
> may be a kernel or library thing.

I'm running master on an old core2duo box. It's in a window with basic
intel graphics and a single monitor.  I normally start the frontend from
a konsole tab with 'MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend'

If I start another instance using just 'mythfrontend' I see a pop-up
warning 'No GPU Acceleration available', and on trying playback get 'E
Overlay: Failed to create window osd_status' and a segfault.

I saw this quite recently when trying to find out why a frontend-launch
panel widget had appeared.  I managed to delete it and the box seems to
be running normally.

Something in this might connect?

John P