[mythtv-users] Warning OpenGL not available?

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun Apr 25 11:21:56 UTC 2021

On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC on
> one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried launching
> mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a temporary message
> saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>
> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and
> it played fine.
>
> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but
> watch out.
>
> Jim A

MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to the
Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
problems in the GUI.

Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it since
though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or something
has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory driver?

Paul H.