[mythtv-users] HEVC/H.265 playback

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Sun Apr 25 09:15:14 UTC 2021

On 21/04/2021 17:45, Leo Butler via mythtv-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I briefly did some experimenting with transcoding recordings using
> libx265+ffmpeg in an mpegts container.
>
> While the transcoding was fine and playback is fine over my lan using
> ffplay on my (old, slow) laptop, on my dedicated frontend only cartoons
> playback ok; other transcoded recordings have a lot of stutter and are
> unwatchable. I will guess that this is because the dedicated frontend is
> about 8 years old and has a slower cpu [*,**].
>
> I wonder if anyone has experience in these matters? Would a graphics
> card be an option (the frontend has a couple low profile pci-e slots
> available)? I am using ubuntu 20.04 and v0.31/fixes from the mythbuntu
> ppa, if that matters.

Try transcoding to a format your existing hardware can accelerate.

You didn't say what graphics card / video playback profile you are
using. You will need to look at that first, to determine
"what formats" it'll support.

Given you are speculating about adding a graphics card, then I would
hazard a guess you have an embedded intel gpu. So try running `vainfo`

Regards
Stuart