[mythtv-users] Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 21 15:47:51 UTC 2021

On 4/20/21 1:25 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 4/20/21 12:05 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> The logs showed evidence of permissions problems.  I looked at the
>>> files
>>> in the recording directory and some were owned by mythtv and others by
>>> jay.  I ran 'sudo chown mythtv:mythtv *' in the recording directory and
>>> tried the Deleted Recordings -> Playlist -> Delete technique again.  It
>>> then appeared as if mythtv was now deleting the recordings (yeah).
>>>
>>> However, things are still broken somehow.  The 'mythbackend
>>> --printexpire --quiet' command now shows just 7 recordings (the 7 I
>>> watched and deleted last night).  This is expected.  The frontend
>>> Deleted Recordings group also only has these same 7 recordings in it.
>>> But the mythweb backend status still shows over 500GB of deleted
>>> recordings remaining to be deleted.  The actions (above) resulted in
>>> deleting about 260GB, but according to mythweb backend status, there is
>>> still 570GB left to go.  How do I get mythtv to delete these deleted
>>> recordings?
>>>
>>> Disk Usage Summary:
>>>
>>>   * Total Disk Space:
>>>       o Total Space: 3,813,582 MB
>>>       o Space Used: 3,302,627 MB
>>>       o Space Free: 510,955 MB
>>>       o Space Available After Auto-expire: 1,085,714 MB
>>>           + Space Used by LiveTV: 0 MB
>>>           + Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 574,759 MB
>>>           + Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 0 MB
>>>
>>> Jay
>> Give it some time to delete the recordings - look again in a few hours
>> and see if they have been deleted.  Depending on your settings,
>> deleting a recording can take a while.  And listen to your hard drives
>> - if they are active but no recordings are in progress, then deletes
>> are probably happening.  And if I remember similar problems in the
>> past correctly, restarting the backend is worth trying now that you
>> have fixed the ownership.  The delete processing will be restarted
>> when mythbackend is restarted.
>>
>> Did you also check the permissions on the recording files?  If they do
>> not have write permission and write permission on the directory, then
>> deletes will fail.
>>
>> I believe that recordings being deleted are marked with the
>> deletepending flag, so this query may show useful information:
>>
>> sudo mysql
>> use mythconverg;
>> select chanid,starttime,title,deletepending from recorded where
>> deletepending!=0 order by starttime;
>> quit
>
> The issue now seems to be that mythweb disagrees with what recordings
> have been deleted.  The backend and frontend report correctly, but
> mythweb reports about 300 additional "deleted" recordings.  I know
> that at least some of these are not deleted and still show up in the
> recordings list on the front end. Somehow, mythweb gets it's
> information about deleted recordings from some place other than where
> the BE/FE does.
>
> Rebooting does not fix this.

> [...]
I think I have found a way to delete the deleted recordings using
mythweb.  Using the Recorded Programs UI with the Show group = Deleted,
I can still see all of the deleted recordings.  From there I can really
delete them one by one using the Delete button.  I can only do a few at
a time, though, otherwise mythweb fails with an error about too many
connections.

Jay