[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Harmony Hub alternative with actual remote

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Apr 14 17:04:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 09:09:41AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The problem is the remotes in that box don't send RF to a hub which then
> sends IR to devices, but instead sends IR line of sight (plus bounce) to
> whatever device/room the remote is pointed at.  Finding a remote is easy.
> Finding a whole house remote that works as well as the Harmony remote and
> without walls in the way (and the X10 Lola style/Remote Wonder remotes
> aren't even close) is a challenge.
>
> [...]
>
> I agree with Gary.  Replacing the Harmony remote--not the software/hub--is
> the challenge.
>
> Before Harmony I had even looked at BLE remote development kits, like
> https://www.ti.com/tool/CC2541DK-RC , but the remote devices themselves were
> so much lower quality than the Harmony remotes.

I'm as sad as anyone about the Harmony news.  I intend to use mine for
as long as I can.  When the end does come, the Sofabaton U1 *might* be
able to fill enough of the void to keep me reasonably happy.  It has
BT to control my Nvidia Shield.  For IR repeating, I could possibly
use an RPi connected to the remote using BT.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net