[mythtv-users] 6.6 Short Schedule

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:19:27 UTC 2021

On 4/13/21 6:13 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> We had a graphic illustration of this last weekend in the UK when the
> Duke of Edinburgh died.
>
> The traditional terrestrial channels promptly went into headless
> chicken mode. BBC4 was turned off completely and BBC1 and BBC2 just
> showed what was on the BBC News channel, which of course was all
> DofE's history, etc. ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 had different
> programming but they had still stopped showing the 'normal' schedules.
>
> For various reasons I discovered this mid-afternoon. Since I had five
> programs set to record that evening I wanted to see if an update was
> available and so hand-ran mythfilldatabase. Nope, still the same. So,
> the following morning I had to hit 'delete and re-record' on all those
> recordings, which would have been wall-to-wall DofE.
>
> I think that this kind of event represents one of the few limitations
> of mythtv, something dramatic like a major death (think JFK) or, say,
> a terrorist event (think 9/11). There's really no way to get
> up-to-date schedule information, since even the EIT can get left
> behind. The best that can be done is to re-record what was wanted at a
> later date.

I have found in these situations I quickly delete the recordings and
mark to allow recording again. This works if the networks reschedules
the original recording.  Our problem is a lot of times the local weather
caused the mess up of the schedule so the network didn't change what
they did nationally.

I have found that if a local channel schedules ahead of time to run a
local sports event that is not of national interest that they will move
the network shows to after midnight and the schedule will reflect this
so SD will pick it up.  During this time of year I pad all recordings.

Jim A