[mythtv-users] Mythtv on MacOS - OSD now fixed for high resolution/retina screens

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Sep 28 08:58:18 UTC 2020

> On 28 Sep 2020, at 4:37 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> launch till GUI 20 secs to 60 secs (1st timed run 20, next 60)
>> similar time for exit 'till destop.
>>
>> Watching terminal output shows nothing significant.
>>
>> After install of John's app, first time launch->GUI 1sec, exit->desktop also 1sec
>
> Better late than never - but my view on what causes the delays:-
>
> Startup
> - there is an 'issue' on macOS where the mysql plugin takes a while to
> startup and the gui is delayed as a result. There is specific code in
> certain places to account for this. Not sure whether it is a Qt
> problem or a more general macOS implementation detail.
> - port checking code was added a few years ago (for better IPv6
> support) that is blocking on startup. This seems to add a significant
> delay to startup on all OSs - sometimes it is minimal, but sometimes
> 10 or more seconds
>
> Shutdown
> - there is some custom socket code in the UPnP implementation that
> blocks shutdown for a few seconds. This happens twice - once for the
> UPnP object and once for SSDP. Its long been a target of mine to
> refactor and just use regular Qt socket code - but not high on the
> priority list.

Mark thanks for the input.
For me the startup issue ought not be an issue since my backend (and mysql db) is on a running linux machine.

What perplexes me is that I installed Johns’ build and startup and shutdown were immediate. Just later start and stops took the usual long time.
What is also perplexing is that my now-well-used frontend starts in 20 to 60 secs. I can’t see any big-deal that is at play for the shorter or longer time. I’ve already been told that the pause at IPV6 stuff happening (as logged) is irrelevant.
I’ll try to build with all IPV6 stuff excluded to see what happens.

James