[mythtv-users] leanfront problem with UK recording

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 18:34:32 UTC 2020

On 26/09/2020 17:48, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi John
>
> I am trying to resolve outstanding problems with leanfront. You supplied
> a recording that will not play through leanfront, although it plays with
> mythfrontend and vlc. I have not managed to figure out what is different
> about that recording. Do you know which specific recordings fail? Is it
> a particular station, or a transcoding option, or something else that
> sets the failing ones apart? The one you supplied is a minute of an
> orchestra playing classical music, and I have been struggling without
> success to get leanfront to play it.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter:  This remains a mystery to me.  I haven't properly tracked the
postprocessing history of some of these recordings, but IIRC that one
was DVB-T2 h264 1080i/p with multichannel sound.  It and ones like it
will play well in leanfront (although I have only stereo) after stream
stripping with ffmpeg or conversion to mkv using procedures similar to
the ones you suggest in the leanfront wiki.  Unfortunately the results
may then not play and skip properly via the normal frontend or DLNA, or
the elapsed-time display in some mode may have problems.

I used to think that the mix of progressive and interlaced frames was to
blame, but that doesn't seem to be the case.   At present my script
appears to be using just " -vcodec copy -acodec copy ".  I'll have
another look at it.

Cheers,

John