[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Powering up remotely

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:17:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 8:42 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher: Yes, the suspense is killing me.

Again, lots of possibilities.  And while this may
be an unpopular statement in this venue, one
must remember that this is only TV, and if you
really need to know what happened on a show
just read the synapsis someone has made.

> The one or two times this happened over the last nine years it was always some fsck/error type message for the recording drives (two internal and an external drive I send some stuff to after recording).

I am presuming you are using a filesystem type
with robust journaling (if not, that is step zero to
correct).

Consider using the nofail mount option (especially
for external disks that may not power up quickly
or at all).  You may also choose to set the wait
time so that it does not wait 90 seconds using
something like x-systemd.device-timeout=10s

If you are the type such that you are always
going to just say "y" to the fsck prompts anyway,
understand, and then consider setting, the
various kernel command line options fsck.mode
and fsck.repair appropriately.

Consider changing the MythTV backend startup
unit with a After and Wants for the recording drives
if they are necessary (you may need to add the
appropriate udev stanzas to create the device
units) if you only want MythTV to start after the
drives are mounted (in the case nofail continues
without the drives).  In some cases you may be
happy to let it start up with a subset of drives
of course, but choose carefully.

> You'd think it would let you get to the point where you could ssh in

Consider changing the WantedBy for sshd to
earlier in the process (network-online.target?)
rather than multi-user.target.  Of course, if
the filesystem missing is something you need
to login (like home) that might not help much.
Be aware you may need to add appropriate
Wants and Afters that are inherited by being
late in the process.  And note that network-online
may not be what you think it is.