[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Powering up remotely

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:02:45 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the input. It'll be a while until back to my
> system. It's funny how you dont realize how smooth things were running
> until they're not.
>
> Now I'm curious if anyone has ever run a low-powered backup myth that
> kicks in if the main one fails to keep the family off their backs.:-) "Why
> didn't my show record!!!" :-P

I didn't build it as a backup but it could be.  My main backend is on a PC
in a closet with a UPS, RAID 1, so it has very little problems.  I built a
cheap backend using a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB and it can easily record 4 shows
at once, maybe more, but I only had a HDHR Quatro. I used a USB3 to SATA
adapter to connect a 1TB SSD to the RPI4.  You can use this as a combo
mythtv, but I'm not satisfied with the mythfrontend on my shows.

You can easily set up the RPI4 to record all the critical shows from a
networked tuner like HDHomerun Quatro and just delete them once they have
been viewed on the main backend.

I use mine in my RV Camper when on the road and I use a FireTV 4K as a
frontend because Mythtv leanfront on the FireTV 4K is much better than the
RPI4 used as a frontend.

Jim A