[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Powering up remotely

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 19:11:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:13 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Let's say it auto-started but is currently sitting there with some "press y to continue" drive/os message. To future proof this, aren't there some motherboards that allow you to have remote KVM access through the bios?

Yes, although most are targeted towards enterprise
or datacenter customers, and are priced accordingly.
Some business class MBs may offer remote
management too (Intel calls it their management
engine, I forgot what AMD calls their solution).

There are also 3rd parties that sell KVM solutions
for those MBs that do not come with the support.
As most of these KVM are target towards enterprise
and datacenter servers, it is not uncommon that
they support VGA ports commonly found in the
embedded GPUs of these class servers.

One can also use remote serial console support
through your serial console concentrator, but
(a) you have to make sure to configure your
kernel correctly, and (b) you have to have your
own serial console concentrator (again, common
in enterprises/data centers, not so much for
home, although there are many solutions
available).

> 2) let's say you have a UPS with shutdown software. It goes on battery. Safely shuts down Linux box. Power comes back before the battery has drained. I'm assuming the computer won't autostart because the power to it never stopped. Anyone ever tried using a WiFi plug to power the computer off to force an autostart?

Enterprise/DataCenter UPS units (and/or
power distribution units) allow you to
power cycle individual ports via network
control.

That all said, in this case, one should look
at the root cause.  It is possible none of
the remote control solutions would have
mattered/helped, or been worth the
expense to add just to be able to solve
a once in an every five year event.