[mythtv-users] Metadata is generic in v31

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Sep 20 09:05:23 UTC 2020

On 20/09/2020 00:28, jam at tigger.ws wrote:>> On 20 Sep 2020, at 1:57 am,
Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

>> I've recently updated to 31 from 29.1 and so far run into just one problem. Metadata looked up from within the video player is now generic to the series rather than specific to the episode, so I don't see the episode title or the description of what happens in the episode. There also seems to be a problem with downloading artwork.
>>
>> Anyone else seen similar?
>
> Paul great confusion here. It seems the movie grabber gets different data at different times.
> Also I find (and this must be myth)
>
> I->Change Video->Retrieve
> gets generic metadata
>
> Whereas menu->scan
> retrivies specific data
>
> but the scan way leaves out some movies and the I way is needed. Also the I way does not log what it is doing. I'll play with the logging to see if I can make sense here.
>
> What we need is the developer[s] who crafted this feature to spend a little time polishing the debugging so we can unravel what is happening. The code is complicated and python is alien as it contavenes my personal ethos.

Thanks James. Confirmation that it isn't just my system is useful in
itself. The other change I've made, besides 29.1 to 31, is to build my
own packages. That could easily been a cause of error, but your
experience suggests it is a problem introduced to Myth.

This may be wrong, but the package dependency changes suggest that there
may have been a rework of the xml parsing, using a different API. When I
get a chance, I'll see if I can find a corresponding commit and try to
find anything that looks dodgy.