[mythtv-users] Need help configuring HDHR DVB-C in mythtv 31

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 06:13:07 UTC 2020

Hi,

A few days after upgrading the OS on my backend I have now also upgraded
MythTV to version 31. The OS is Ubuntu 18.04.

Reason for the upgrade is that I couldn't get my 4-tuner DVB-C HDHR to
work with MythTV 30. I suspect that this is the case because as from
that version there is no longer a 1-to-1 relationship between
capturecard entries in MythTV and HDHR tuner numbers: I believe that
MythTV now dynamically allocates the tuner it's going to use for a
recording or Live TV session, thereby being able to share the HDHR
device with other users. Furthermore (as discussed with Klaas) MythTV
30's DVB-C tuning implementation was incomplete, and my script which
relies on a 1-to-1 relationship between cardid and tuner number was no
longer able to compensate for that.

So I upgraded to MythTV 31, deleted all capturecards and started over.
But now nothing works as far as the HDHR is concerned: I created only
one capturecard entry for the time being; when doing so mythtv-setup
does see the HDHR device (i.e. it correctly identifies its IP address
and serial number), I can connect the card to a source in the normal way
etc, but mythweb then doesn't show the HDHR at all.

If I then go back into mythtv-setup and attempt a channel scan (having
selected parameters which I think are appropriate to Cable, QAM256 etc,
I receive the following error message when hitting Scan: "Programmer
error: no device".

Grateful for any hints.

Cheers, Jan