[mythtv-users] FireTV 4K vs. Shield TV for mythtv frontend and Leanfront

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:00:30 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:37 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:08:37PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > On 9/16/20 9:46 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > >
> > > A big gripe I have with the shield is that it still has the MPEG2 bug
> > > that has been around in nvidia devices for years. If you use hardware
> > > (mediacodec) decoding on certain broadcast channels, there is frequent
> > > pixellation, which nvidia have acknowledged is due to "longer than
> > > expected motion vectors". This occurs on some channels that are sharing
> > > frequencies. They have a highly optimized mpeg stream and manage to fit
> > > good quality into a low bitrate.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >

> > Forgot to ask, does the MPEG2 bug not exist on FireTV 4K or FireTV Cube?
> > FireTV products seem to have more compatibility with streaming services
> so
> > I'm thinking about retiring the Nvidia Shield TV (2017 model) and moving
> > the Cube.
>
> No, it's an Nvidia-only bug, reportedly in the hardware so it can't be
> fixed.  If it bothers you that much, just create a hybrid, palyback
> profile that does mpeg2 decoding in software and the rest with
> mediacodec.  That's what I do.  The only thing you lose is Nvidia's
> deinterlacing for mpeg2 which, in reality, isn't that much better than
> what MythTV can do in OpenGL.  Also, if youc care about time
> stretching, you can pretty much forget about the FireTV devices.  They
> aren't powerful enough.
>
> If you still want to get rid of your 2017 Shield, I'll take it off
> your hands.  I know some people who would put it to good use.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

I guess it doesn't bother me since I don't know what to look for.  I mostly
record HDTV OTA MPEG2 stuff from my antenna connected to an ATSC tuner like
HDHR.  All of the stuff I watch is with mythfrontend or leanfront and I
think it looks as good as with my PC with Nvidia GT1030 gfx card.

Also I've been working with Nvidia tech support on fixing my Netflix
framerate problem on European content and I fixe Hulu by canceling them and
switching to Youtube.tv that does work.  So I'm real close to having the
Shield TV work for everything very well.

Jim A