[mythtv-users] Scheduling 'Anytime on this Channel'

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:04:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 14:18, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:52:41 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >I've recently upgraded from 0.25 to 0.32 and I'm really missing the
> >'Anytime on this Channel' recording option.  It seems it was removed in
> >0.27?
> >
> >I've discovered the 'This Channel' filter option but to use that I've
> >either got to set it in the default template or else edit every record
> rule
> >as I create it.  I don't think I want it as the default  but I use it
> >enough to find setting the filter each time a bit of a faff.
> >
> >I could create a Power Search, though my first attempt resulted in a
> >recording rule for every program on the channel.  I deleted the power
> >search but that didn't remove the several dozen record schedules it had
> >created.  I had to delete them one by one - is that how it's supposed to
> >work.  I'm sure I can get Power Searches working, but that seems even more
> >effort.
> >
> >Is there a way to get back the One-Click  'Anytime on this Channel' and
> >Anytime on any Channel' options?

> No, that option is still there in usable form, but things have been
> moved around a fair bit.  If you read the release notes for the
> version where the change happened, it tells you what was done.  As you
> have discovered, to create a "this channel only" rule the full way of
> doing it is to go through the menus while editing a rule to Schedule
> Options > Schedule filters.  Then select the "This channel" filter.
> There are too many filters for them to all be on screen at once in my
> theme (MythCenter-wide), so to find that option I use the up arrow
> twice as it is second from the bottom of the list.  Since the "This
> channel" filter is used so often, there is also a shortcut menu for it
> when creating a new rule.  This was added by request from quite a
> number of people shortly after all those changes happened, due to
> exactly the problem you have outlined.  On an entry in the Programme
> Guide, hit Enter (or OK on the remote) to bring up the menu, then
> select "Record all showings (this channel)".  To get "Any time on any
> channel", select "Record all showings" without the "(this channel)"
> bit.
>
> The things that have really changed are daily/weekly recordings. These
> can now only be done by using the "Custom Edit" menu item to create a
> Power Search rule.  The Power Search rules still have the daily and
> weekly options.
>
> I do not know how you managed to get multiple rules you had to delete,
> as creating a Power Search rule creates a single rule of a different
> type where the "description" field is used to store SQL that is used
> match against the EPG data.  To see what upcoming recordings any rule
> is creating, go to the rule or a recording made from that rule and use
> the O key on the keyboard to get the matching list.  I suspect that
> you had actually created multiple Power Search rules - the way you
> [...]
Thanks Stephen,

Your detailed reply makes me feel guilty for not working that out myself.
I can't believe I missed seeing that menu option.

I think when I saw the new menu for the first time  I just went straight to
the 'Edit Recording Options' screen to get the menu I was used to from 0.25.

...and then, when I couldn't see it in mythweb I started to wonder.

users eh!

I don't know what I did with the Power Search either.  I may try and
recreate it.  I did create several searches  but only three I think - not
dozens.

I think maybe that rather than deleting one of the power searches I set it
to 'do not record'.

Thanks again,