[mythtv-users] Scheduling 'Anytime on this Channel'

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Sep 15 13:16:46 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:52:41 +0100, you wrote:

>I've recently upgraded from 0.25 to 0.32 and I'm really missing the
>'Anytime on this Channel' recording option.  It seems it was removed in
>0.27?
>
>I've discovered the 'This Channel' filter option but to use that I've
>either got to set it in the default template or else edit every record rule
>as I create it.  I don't think I want it as the default  but I use it
>enough to find setting the filter each time a bit of a faff.
>
>I could create a Power Search, though my first attempt resulted in a
>recording rule for every program on the channel.  I deleted the power
>search but that didn't remove the several dozen record schedules it had
>created.  I had to delete them one by one - is that how it's supposed to
>work.  I'm sure I can get Power Searches working, but that seems even more
>effort.
>
>Is there a way to get back the One-Click  'Anytime on this Channel' and
>Anytime on any Channel' options?

No, that option is still there in usable form, but things have been
moved around a fair bit.  If you read the release notes for the
version where the change happened, it tells you what was done.  As you
have discovered, to create a "this channel only" rule the full way of
doing it is to go through the menus while editing a rule to Schedule
Options > Schedule filters.  Then select the "This channel" filter.
There are too many filters for them to all be on screen at once in my
theme (MythCenter-wide), so to find that option I use the up arrow
twice as it is second from the bottom of the list.  Since the "This
channel" filter is used so often, there is also a shortcut menu for it
when creating a new rule.  This was added by request from quite a
number of people shortly after all those changes happened, due to
exactly the problem you have outlined.  On an entry in the Programme
Guide, hit Enter (or OK on the remote) to bring up the menu, then
select "Record all showings (this channel)".  To get "Any time on any
channel", select "Record all showings" without the "(this channel)"
bit.

The things that have really changed are daily/weekly recordings. These
can now only be done by using the "Custom Edit" menu item to create a
Power Search rule.  The Power Search rules still have the daily and
weekly options.

I do not know how you managed to get multiple rules you had to delete,
as creating a Power Search rule creates a single rule of a different
type where the "description" field is used to store SQL that is used
match against the EPG data.  To see what upcoming recordings any rule
is creating, go to the rule or a recording made from that rule and use
the O key on the keyboard to get the matching list.  I suspect that
you had actually created multiple Power Search rules - the way you
create them is not exactly obvious and if you select the wrong button
multiple times you will get multiple rules.  If that problem should
happen again, go to Manage Recordings > Recording Rules and use Ctrl-S
to search for the name of your problem rule.  You may find multiple
matches on that name.