[mythtv-users] ACPI

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 12 02:20:40 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:29:02 +0100, you wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 20:18, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been following the Wiki to configure automatic shutdown and
>> wakeup with rtc clock, but I can't get this accomplished:
>> 'Then add mythtv and any other uses you wish to the "wheel" group.'
>> There is no Wheel Group, is this even relevant? I'm logging out (because
>> I'm using the "check_login.sh") but the box does not shut down (it passed
>> the previous test in the wiki). I'm using myth v 31 on Ubuntu 20.04
>> combined FE/BE. TIA  Daryl
>>

>The wheel group is the historic name for what is now usually called the
>sudo group.  The idea is that you can just add users to the group instead
>of configuring them individually in /etc/sudoers.  Most distributions will
>ship an /etc/sudoers file with:
>
>%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>
>in it, which makes this work.  Presumably in terms of what you're trying to
>accomplish, this is because the automatic shutdown will be done by the
>mythtv user via sudo as:
>
>sudo shutdown -h now
>
>Cheers, Ian

The problem with "sudo shutdown -h now" is that it will pop up a
request for a password.  Which is why you need to add sudoer
configuration for your shutdown script to allow it to be run by sudo
without a password.  So the "ACPI Shutdown" Wiki page tells you to add
this to the sudoers config:

%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh

as that has the "NOPASSWD:" option.