[mythtv-users] RTSP / IP encoders - how to make this work right/reliably

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Thu Sep 3 15:59:29 UTC 2020

I just managed to snag a couple of very expensive commercial HDMI
encoders for a song on ebay.  I have one here working off an HDMI
connection to a dish network VIP211.

The picture is quite good, and streaming it to a vlc instance in my
office.  The transport stream has several different formats, currently
on mpeg2ts, its' working great.

BUT the stream can only be gotten to using RTSP, NOT HTTP, which is what
all the freebox documentation is calling for that i can see.

I also ran across some other postings about using an external recorder.

For those that have wrangled with this type of capture device, what
makes sense here?  As far as i can tell, if i can get this working it
will make an extremely clean installation, as i can

have my satellite boxes sitting on tvs in usable spots in the house,
change channels by ethernet, start the ip encoder remote and generally
carry on with life and high WAF.

She insists the dish boxes be available rather than livetv through myth,
and i can't blame her really, we've never liked the live tv interface
that much.  If the channel suddenly changes on the box, you just go do
something else.

The encoder in question is a Vbrick 7101 h-hd.  Nice little device, if
insanely priced back in the day.  I'll let you google the prices if you
wish...

Anyone have any common wisdom here?