[mythtv-users] Managing storage groups intelligently

R. Ramesh rramesh at verizon.net
Tue Sep 1 22:08:18 UTC 2020

> You can do what I do, which is to have my recordings go to the
> partitions in my "Default" storage group, but also have another
> storage group I call "Archives".  In my case, the "Default" drives CMR
> drives and most of the "Archives" drives are shingled (SMR) drives,
> which are unsuitable for recording to.  I currently have 7 drives on
> "Default" so I am safe to do up to 14 recordings at once before I have
> to worry about getting damaged recordings.  There are 5 drives on
> "Archives".  When playing back recordings, MythTV will find the files
> in any storage group, but will only record to the storage group
> specified in the recording rule.  The default storage group used when
> creating new recording rules is set in the "Default (Template)"
> template rule.  So when my recording drives are getting full, I move
> recordings from them to my "Archives" drives until I have enough free
> space again.

Thanks for the details. It appears like I could put SSD in Default group
and nothing else. I can create HD storage group and put all the other
spinning disks there. Since recording rules usually choose Default, it
will always go to SSD.

In the night when the system is at rest, I will execute cache management
type copying from SSD?? to HD.?? I will keep the most recently accessed
files in SSD and others will go to HD. Like you suggest, I will copy xxx
as backup_xxx and delete xxx and rename backup_xxx as xxx.

Do you think this will work based on your knowledge?

Regards
Ramesh