[mythtv-users] Audible POP from speaker on starting playback

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Sat Oct 31 06:46:48 UTC 2020

Den 30.10.2020 18:32, skrev David Watkins:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 15:49, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/10/2020 14:23, David Watkins wrote:
>     > I'm feeding the analog 'line out' from my frontend into an audio
>     > amplifier and stereo speakers.
>     >
>     > On starting playback of a recording there's a pop from the
>     speakers.
>     > Not loud enough to damage them but irritating nonetheless.
>     >
>     > This is a rebuilt frontend moving from Myth 0.25 to 0.32 and Fedora
>     > something to v32.  It's using the same hardware as before and I
>     didn't
>     > get the pop sound before the rebuild, which makes me think
>     there's a
>     > chance of a fix?
>     >
>     > I could of course go digital.  I can play sound directly to my
>     TV over
>     > the HDMI cable and that works fine without popping, but the TV
>     speakers
>     > are crappy compared to my stereo setup, so I'd have to invest in
>     an AV Amp.
>     >
>     > All help appreciated.
>     >
>     > D
>
>     Audiophiles with golden ears will shudder, but I get 'good'
>     playback by
>     connecting the TV headphone output to my stereo amp input. No pops
>     heard - but changing the headphone volume setting is clumsy.
>     Perhaps I
>     should look deeper in the Myth settings.  Current master, F32.
>
>     John P

> That's a good idea and it's 'thinking outside the box' - I like that.
>
> I have to say I haven't noticed a headphone socket on my Samsung TV
> but I'm going to go look.

Your ears should always have the final say. If the DA converter in your
TV is OK, go for it. Look for line out on the back of the TV though.
Send that to an amp. and use the amp for volume control.

Alternatively make myth use a mixed output (e.g. alsa dmix or
pulse-audio), and have the computer "keep the audio circuit open" (for
want of a better term). The pop is from your computer's output turning
on. Again, your ears have the final say.

Distortion can come from many sources. My TV has a digital optical out.
Should be the best, rigt? Wrong. I get a faint scratchy noise from
jitter in the signal, so analog out from my TV is way better. Make sure
you are not feeding too weak signal in to the next link in your audio
chain, you'll get a background hiss. Make sure you are not feeding to
/strong/ signal in to the next step, you'll get distortion on the loud
parts.