[mythtv-users] Remote frontend connection problems

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 19 13:28:12 UTC 2020

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:28:40 -0400, you wrote:

>It was not the firewall, but I tried your next suggestion about the GRANT
>ALL command, restarted mysql with "sudo service mysql restart" and now it
>works.
>I'm not familiar with mariadb as i last used myth about 10 years ago.  But
>given that restarting mysql helped, I guess that must be what my system is
>using.
>
>Thank you Glenb and everyone for your help!

MariaDB installs itself in a way that makes it look as though it is
MySQL.  So the command that restarts MySQL also works for MariaDB as
it sets up an alias to make that command work.  To see if you are
running MariaDB instead of MySQL, just type this command:

mysql --version

If you are running MariaDB, you should see something like this:

mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.22-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 5.2

If it is real MySQL, there will be no mention of "MariaDB" in the
output.