[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - audio switching to dummy

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:50:31 UTC 2020

On 10/11/20 6:13 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I have all my devices connected to my UHD 4K TV through a HDMI 2.0
> switch. On my Xubuntu 20.04 PC I run a lot of media applications
> including mythtv.
>
> One problem I have only on this system is losing audio devices when I
> switch the TV away from the PC and later switching it back.
>
> I used to have a Video problem when switching but that seems to be
> solved.
>
> However every time I switch back, audio is using device 'dummy'. I can
> fix it by opening the mixer by clicking on the speaker/volume icon on
> the top panel bar, and looking at all the devices under
> Configuration.  They are all marked unavailable, but if I click on the
> right one and wait 3 seconds it will turn available and I can selected
> it.  The audio will now work.
>
> Is there a way in *ubuntu to force the audio to reset on a HDMI
> connection event the same way that video does?
>
> BTW I'm using an Nvidia GT1030 card and it connected to the switch via
> HDMI.
>
> Jim A

Yesterday I did a complete install of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and had the
same issue with the HDMI sound disappearing as an option when HDMI was
switched away from the PC.  Later in the morning I got a bunch of
updates many related to NVidia.  Once installed, the audio switching
failure disappeared after several reboots and since I switch away the TV
from the PC a lot, I think this may be fixed.  At least it worked
yesterday afternoon and evening.

Jim A