[mythtv-users] mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:21:22 UTC 2020

On 10/13/20 2:24 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 18:50:15 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:
>
>> From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
>>
>>> I have to say I am surprised at all the troubles you have been having
>>> with Ubuntu 20.04.  I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a VirtualBox virtual
>>> machine using network tuners when it first came out and it worked fine
>> Mine was an upgrade from 18.04...that sounds like you installed onto 20.04 directly?
> Yes, it was a new install of 20.04.  I am just at the point of wanting
> to do my 18.04 to 20.04 upgrades now that the LTS to LTS upgrade path
> is finally available.  I have four systems to upgrade, so I am hoping
> not to meet too many problems along the way as three of those are
> operating 24/7 and only have a few hours available on any day to do an
> upgrade.

FWIW, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS yesterday on an old PC
with Nvidia GT1030 and it failed to even install.

I hit a know bug about selecting 3rd party video drivers on
installation. So I did it again without that checkbox and it installed.

Then I sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt upgrade -y. Then I installed
ubuntu-restricrted-extras package ans updated all the software again.

At this point mythtv installed fine, but I did NOT install mariadb. Just
use the default mysql.

Jim A