[mythtv-users] mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb after ubuntu 20.04 upgrade

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Oct 12 09:52:55 UTC 2020

> On 12 Oct 2020, at 10:34 am, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> Finally did this:sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-commonfromhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Troubleshooting
>>
>> and also had to disable mysqld from AppArmor (setting it to complain didn't work).
>> And things seem back to normal except themes don't seem to get set properly in the 0.31 FrontEnd so it stays the default, but I can live with it :-)
>> So forewarned that AppArmor causes lots of fun in Ubuntu 20.04 :-(
>
> I have to say I am surprised at all the troubles you have been having
> with Ubuntu 20.04.  I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a VirtualBox virtual
> machine using network tuners when it first came out and it worked fine
> without any of the problems you have encountered.  I did have to
> update my 18.04 LIRC fixup script for 20.04, as the LIRC install is
> still broken, but that was the only major problem I can remember.
> MariaDB worked just fine, and still does with all the updates that
> have happened since then.
>
> But there are probably quite a few things I just habitually do when
> setting up a new MythTV system, so one or more of those may have
> prevented the problems you had.  I certainly did not have any AppArmor
> problems though.

But it depends on your hardware too,
I had a torrid time with audio being pegged to FSD (127) using various Gen 8, 9, 10 NUC but NOT on my gen 6.
(xubuntu, 20.04 but all from kde, gnome to lxde and lxqt)
I think its all to do with the intel-microsoft conspiracy to force users of new hardware (gen 8 + cpu) to use windows 10. Earlier windoze won’t run on later hw.
James