[mythtv-users] File permissions

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 12 02:43:37 UTC 2020

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:32:22 -0700, you wrote:

>On 10/11/20 10:08 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> On 11/10/2020 19:01, DaveD wrote:
>>> mythbackend runs as user mythtv.  My normal user is a member of the
>>> mythtv group and I have write permission on the storage directories, but
>>> the recordings are created without group write permission.  Any time I
>>> need to work with a recording file (like fixing decoder errors (wish
>>> that bug would get fixed some day, but I digress)) I need to chmod g+w
>>> on the file first.  Is there a way I can have the recordings always
>>> created with group write permission?
>> They are here.
>>
>> Make sure that the storage directory itself has group write permission.
>
>Yes, they do.  If they didn't, I wouldn't be able to do the chmod to
>make them group writable.
>
>I figured that setting the default umask for the mythbackend process to
>0002 (instead of the default 0022) would fix it, but no luck
>(systemd-analyze dump shows umask=0002 but new recordings are still
>-rw-r--r--).  Is there a setting in the config somewhere?
>
>Dave D.

Isn't there also a problem if any of the directories above the storage
directory do not have the group write permission?  And possibly also
group x?

Anyway, I know that at one time I used to have problems with
permissions on the recordings, but after I just did chmod a=rwx to the
directories they all went away.  So my /mnt and /mnt/rec* directories
are all set to a=rwx and owned by root.  I know, that basically
completely turns off all security.  But since I am the only person on
my network they are only TV recordings, I find that is the best
solution for me as I really hate permissions problems.  It is my
machine - it should work for me, not against me!