[mythtv-users] mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb after ubuntu 20.04 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 12 02:34:36 UTC 2020

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 17:02:13 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Finally did this:sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-commonfromhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Troubleshooting
>
>and also had to disable mysqld from AppArmor (setting it to complain didn't work).
>And things seem back to normal except themes don't seem to get set properly in the 0.31 FrontEnd so it stays the default, but I can live with it :-)
>So forewarned that AppArmor causes lots of fun in Ubuntu 20.04 :-(

I have to say I am surprised at all the troubles you have been having
with Ubuntu 20.04.  I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a VirtualBox virtual
machine using network tuners when it first came out and it worked fine
without any of the problems you have encountered.  I did have to
update my 18.04 LIRC fixup script for 20.04, as the LIRC install is
still broken, but that was the only major problem I can remember.
MariaDB worked just fine, and still does with all the updates that
have happened since then.

But there are probably quite a few things I just habitually do when
setting up a new MythTV system, so one or more of those may have
prevented the problems you had.  I certainly did not have any AppArmor
problems though.