[mythtv-users] Silicon Dust HDHR5-4K

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sun Oct 11 17:02:06 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 03:10:44PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 4:54 AM Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Is there any development version of MythTV that supports any of the new features of this tuner?
>
> At the time of the announcement of availability a few
> of the US based devs indicated that they *might* order
> a unit to kick the tires (perhaps ordering the DEV unit
> to be able to explore the raw stream?).  I don't know
> if they did, nor if they have received their unit, nor what
> their time availability might be for playing around with
> the unit (likely they either have lots of free time, or
> negative free time).  Hopefully one/more will chime in
> if they have any of that elusive free time available.

As far as I know, none of us have ordered one.  I haven't ruled it out
but it likely won't be any time soon.

> However, while the content is remuxed to a format
> compatible for capture, as I recall only recent MythTV
> master has been updated to properly support HEVC/H.265
> recording from stations with full parsing and reporting.
> So those wanting to record/play ATSC 3.0 HEVC with
> MythTV likely need to be running the master branch
> (and one may need a VPU with HEVC decode, especially
> on lower powered systems, for playback).

Correct.  Playback and recording of HEVC *should* work.  There is a
known bug where the seek table of HEVC recordings can not be rebuilt.

> I can see some potential issues with selecting and
> scheduling a device which has mixed capabilities
> (for this initial HDHR ATSC 3.0 device there are four
> tuners, but two are ATSC 1.0 only, and two are ATSC
> 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 capable) along with existing tuners
> which may require careful capturecard/videosource
> setup, but I believe the issues can be addressed by
> intelligent setup choices in the existing system.  That
> is not to say some future improvements might not be
> helpful.

Correct again.  We don't know what impact the 2+2 tuner arrangement
will have on scheduling.

David
--
David Engel