[mythtv-users] Preventing automatic backup on schema upgrade

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:33:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 1:15 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> I am finally about to upgrade my main MythTV box from v30 to v31.  But
> I will have a problem if it automatically does a database backup when
> the schema upgrade happens, as there is not enough room on the system
> drive to do a backup there.  And a backup takes around 18 minutes to
> complete (the backup file is 2.8 Gbytes).

> backup on a spare SSD partition where there is room for it, and where
> it has the best possible read and write speed.

My suggestion here would be to relocate your database files to the SSD
permanently, if you have 2.8 gigs to spare on it forever, and then symlink
the original mysql database storage location to the SSD.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-change-a-mysql-data-directory-to-a-new-location-using-a-symlink
provides
a good walk-through of this.

(As an aside, I don't quite understand why the backup script is so long and
verbose, or written in perl..isn't this process basically a mysqldump of
the appropriate tables?)

Mike