[mythtv-users] One showing every {week|day}

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 4 09:51:46 UTC 2020

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 08:44:36 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi!
>
>The Wiki [1] says that recording rules can be told to find only one hit
>per day or per week, but I can't seem to find that either in Mythweb or
>in the frontend (31-fixes).
>
>Any hints?
>
>[1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Manage_Recordings
>
>Thanks, Jan

You need to use a Power Search rule - use the menu and select Custom
Edit.  If all you want out of the rule is to match on title, then the
SQL part will be set up already as that and you can just go directly
to the Record button and that will take you to a menu that looks
almost identical to the normal recording rule edit menu.  But you get
the options for Daily and Weekly recording which you do not get on
normal recording rules.

There are some problems with setting up Daily and Weekly recordings.
If there are (say) 5 repeats in a week of the programme, you really
want to be on the first one of those when you create the Weekly Power
Search rule, so that it will load the record.findday field with that
day.  If you set up the rule on the last of the 5 repeats, then if it
fails to record then, it will record the next episode and miss the one
for that week.  However, if the EPG data is generic, you will not know
when in the week the new episode starts to broadcast.  So what I do
for that is to set up a temporary ordinary recording rule that will
record all episodes with no duplicate checking and then after a week
check all the recordings to see when the change to the new episode
happens.  Then I can select the next upcoming episode at that time of
the week to create the Power Search rule from, and delete the
temporary ordinary rule. It is also possible to just use SQL to change
the findday and/or findtime values.

I have also had to use Power Search rules for recording only at
certain times of the day.  Here in New Zealand we have Coronation
Street broadcasting in the evenings but with aggregated repeats in the
afternoons.  Due to the aggregation, the EPG data for the repeats
makes them appear to be different episodes from the evening original
broadcasts.  So I had to set up my mother's MythTV box to only record
Coronation Street when it was broadcast between 18:00 and 23:30 local
time.  Otherwise she would wind up watching the originals and the
repeats and getting very confused.  Doing that requires the use of SQL
to check the program.startime value:

program.title = 'Coronation Street 2020' and
right(convert_tz(program.starttime,'UTC','NZ'),8)>='18:00:00' and
right(convert_tz(program.starttime,'UTC','NZ'),8)<'23:30:00'