[mythtv-users] mythvideo ignoring folder.jpg

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Nov 25 08:27:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 21:47:00 -0500, you wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 6:00 PM Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 5:37 PM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>> > On 25 Nov 2020, at 6:04 am, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Today I compiled mythtv on my desktop.  It connects to my backend and
>>> everything works, except mythvideo doesn't show any of the folder.jpg (or
>>> folder.png) files I have in my mythvideo storage group.
>>> >
>>> > I've tried all the mythvideo view options I could find: Browse,
>>> Gallery, List views.  They all ignore the folder.jpg files.
>>> >
>>> > My HTPC mythfrontend continues to display all the folder.jpg files as
>>> expected.
>>> Maybe image related?
>>> Some of my coverart is prepared with gimp. Some works some does not. What
>>> are criteria for success?
>>> Nothing obvious like size manifests.
>>> I make jpgs as they are what is there but my latest failure I tried png
>>> too.
>>> James
>> Sorry, I doubt that explanation.  All the images work fine on my HTPC and
>> none of the images work on my desktop.  Both machines connect to the same
>> dedicated mythtvbackend machine.
>> I think it must be a subtle mythfrontend setting difference.  But
>> everything is set identical, as far as I can tell.
>I got it working by putting something under <Setup><Media Settings><Video
>Settings><General Settings><Directories That Hold Videos>
>And by something I mean '/dev/null'
>Seems like a bug to me.

It certainly does.

For future reference, a while ago I had a similar sort of problem and
I wanted to compare the settings for two frontends to see what was
different.  I worked out the SQL to do that, and then forgot about it
- I had meant to turn it into a useful batch file.  So today when you
mentioned comparing frontend settings, I finally got around to doing
that.  It is a bit rough-and-ready, as it needs to be run with sudo or
as root so it does not have to get credentials to login to the
database, but it does work:


# Show the differences between the mythconverg.settings values for two

if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then
    echo "Error: Two frontend hostnames required"
    exit 2


echo "MythTV settings table differences between $H1 and $H2"

mysql -t <<EOF
use mythconverg;
select h1.value,h1.hostname,h1.data,h2.hostname,h2.data from settings
h1 inner join settings h2 on (h1.hostname='$H1' and h2.hostname='$H2')
and (h1.hostname!=h2.hostname) and (h1.value=h2.value) and
(h1.data!=h2.data) order by value;
select h1.value,h1.hostname,h1.data from settings h1 where
h1.hostname='$H1' and (select count(*) from settings h2 where
h2.hostname='$H2' and h2.value=h1.value)=0 order by value;
select h2.value,h2.hostname,h2.data from settings h2 where
h2.hostname='$H2' and (select count(*) from settings h1 where
h1.hostname='$H1' and h1.value=h2.value)=0 order by value;

I have put a copy on my web server for downloading:


The first SQL select displays all settings where both frontends have
that setting, but the settings.data values are different.  The second
and SQL selects display settings from each frontend where there is no
corresponding setting for the other frontend.  Where a frontend has
the same name as a backend, these last two selects will display a lot
of backend settings, as there is no way to tell the difference.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list