[mythtv-users] Ver 31 frontend cannot connect to the database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Nov 24 11:07:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:37:37 -0800, you wrote:

>On 11/23/20 6:09 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 16:57:05 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/23/20 7:13 AM, Bill Meek wrote:

>>>     snip

>>>     At least my /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf, appears to
>>>     be one that would be released by a package manager and changes to
>>>     it could be overwritten by updates/upgrades.
>>>
>>>     I'd move the mythtv.cnf file to /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d to
>>>     prevent future surprises.
>>>
>>> I've gone over everything and I have to conclude that port 3306 on the
>>> backend being closed is the culprit. Since mythfrontend wants to use
>>> port 3306 to communicate with the backend I'm not going to get anywhere
>>> until port 3306 is opened. Unfortunately I do not know how to do that.
>>>
>>> How do I open port 3306?
>>>
>>> mike
>> As I said, fix the MariaDB bind-address.  Port 3306 is the port for
>> MariaDB, not MythTV.  MariaDB is still binding to 3306 only on
>> localhost.  It needs to bind 3306 on all IP addresses.
>
>How do I do that?
>
>mike

As per my previous post:

In your MariaDB settings, the "bind-address=127.0.0.1" is the one
being used by MariaDB, instead of the "bind-address=::", because of
the order it reads the config files.  The last one read is the one
that gets used.  So the simple thing to do is just to comment out the
"bind-address=127.0.0.1" line in the
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf file by putting a # at the
start of the line.  Then restart MariaDB:

sudo systemctl restart mariadb