[mythtv-users] HDHR failing

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 03:37:47 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 8:20 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 16:43:25 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >

> >> and then run this command:
> >>
> >> sudo tshark -tad -P -w eth0.pcap -i eth0 ether host <MAC address of
> >> HDHR>
> >>
> >> Adjust the "eth0" bits to the name of your Ethernet port if necessary.
> >> Ping the HDHR again and check that tshark shows the ping.
> >>
> >> Then restart mythbackend and tshark should see all the traffic it does
> >> with the HDHR (if any).  That will also be stored to the eth0.pcap
> >> file which can be loaded into Wireshark on any PC that has it
> >> installed.  You can also make it available for us to look at if you
> >> need help with working out what is going on.
> >>

> >tshark returns the following after reboot.  I do need help working out
> >what's going on:
> >   11 5.004453703 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 Who has
> >192.168.1.200? Tell 192.168.1.42
> >   12 5.004462014 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42
> >192.168.1.200 is at 00:24:1d:21:c1:0c
> >   13 5.178415918 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42 Who has
> >192.168.1.42? Tell 192.168.1.200
> >   14 5.178635208 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60
> 192.168.1.42
> >is at 00:18:dd:06:68:bf
> >
> >Since this capture continued after a reboot, I assume I need to stop it.
> >How do I do so?
>
> Control-C stops tshark, and most command line programs.
>
> The log posted probably does not show the start of the Ethernet
> traffic, as the first packet you posted (packet 11) is an ARP request
> broadcast from the HDHR trying to find the MythTV box's IP address.
> That is unexpected - it suggests that the HDHR was talking to the
> MythTV box not long ago and lost the connection and is trying to
> re-establish it.  But as I understand things, it is the MythTV box
> that connects to the HDHR, not the other way around, and I would have
> expected the MythTV box to be trying to find the HDHR.  Packet 12 is
> the ARP reply from the MythTV box (using a Gigabyte motherboard
> Ethernet port, from the MAC address).
>
> Then we get two packets more like I would have expected, where the
> MythTV box does an ARP request to find the HDHR's IP address in packet
> 13, and gets a reply in packet 14.  Except packet 11 has already
> provided that IP address, and packet 13 has the MAC address of the
> HDHR in it, rather than being a broadcast packet with an all FF MAC
> address that tshark would not have captured.
>
> If there was no more traffic captured after that, then what was
> captured does not really help.  We can see that the MythTV box and the
> HDHR both know each other's IP addresses and should therefore be able
> to talk to each other, but that is about all.  There is nothing to
> explain why they are not talking to each other.

I guess what I'm asking is this.  Issuing the tshark command seems to have
initiated a process that restarts after reboot.  Otherwise I could not have
seen the boot-up traffic.  Don't I now need to cancel the restart going
forward? I don't want to sniff every packet from now on.  Or does it maybe
only restart once?