[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:19:12 UTC 2020

On 11/3/20 9:33 AM, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On Nov 3, 2020, at 9:22 AM, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com
>> <mailto:mystica at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 5:15 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I think a lot of this panning problem is due to broadcast
>>     choices.  I notice the bits per second on my major networks is
>>     about 3-4 GB per hour, but the sub networks show reruns of the
>>     same shows at 0.8 GB per hour. They also use 480p but the panning
>>     jitter is really bad.
>>
>>     Jim A
>>
>> If indeed the subchannels are 480p, then I don't think there's
>> anything your videocard/processing settings can really do to help; I
>> don't think there's any sort of algorithm to fix a progressive stream
>> as technically they shouldn't need to be fixed. That said, sometimes
>> one can convince ffmpeg to do strange things manually, and if really
>> necessary avisynth can pull lines out and restitch them together into
>> fields with delay if necessary or whatever is out of sync, but those
>> are just pedantic possibilities if you wanted to moonlight as a video
>> restoration technician or something. ;)
>

> All of the sub channels in our area (Wilmington NC) are 480i and not
> 480p.. so they are also interlaced.
>
> The only ATSC broadcast I receive not interlaced is 720p. Everything
> else is interlaced.
>
> Regards.

My area is Raleigh, NC and ABC and Fox are 720p. CBS and NBC are 1080i.
What I see on those channels with mythtv on android is the same as I see
through my TV's own tuner.  So no complains at one time Leanfront was
better, but I now have mythfrontend profile setup correctly and
everything is good.  It all depends in whether or not I'm just watching
for entertainment or playing video engineer.

Jim A