[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:14:20 UTC 2020

On 11/3/20 6:34 AM, Owen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 20:30, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/11/2020 22:43, Phill Edwards wrote:
>     >
>     >      > Thirded. I know you said you want to run apps other than
>     MythTV,
>     >     but FYI
>     >      > I just bought a new Chromecast With Google TV and it runs
>     MythTV
>     >      > Mythfrontend app and the Leanfront app fine. FYI for
>     anyone else
>     >      > installing Mythfrontend, you need the 32 bit APK file.
>     >
>     >     Do you get flawlessly smooth playback of 1080i content on
>     that when
>     >     using Mythfrontend? I've yet to achieve that on anything ARM
>     based,
>     >     although I haven't tried any very recent hardware.
>     >
>     >
>     > Sorry, I don't know as I haven't tried it. I'm not sure if any
>     of the
>     > Australian DVB-T broadcasts are 1080i. But the device is
>     supposed to
>     > support 4K, so would that mean 1080i would be OK?
>
>     You can determine if a video is progressing or interlaced during
>     playback by using Menu -> Video - Advanced (I think that's right).
>     I'd
>     imagine most sports would be interlaced, and maybe news reports.
>

> Sadly, there are no Australian channels doing 1080p - the best they do
> is 1080i ... which as Stephen mentioned, often results in
> judder/jagging for sport or panning type movies if not dealt with
> correctly.

In the USA, the OTA ATSC 1.0 is only either 1080i at 30hz or 720P at 60hz.  To
my eyes using a PC with something like a Nvidia GT 1030 GFX card I don't
see any problems with 1080i which is 1/2 my channels. I can't tell it
from 720p except using data like what you get with OSD Menu -> Playback
-> Playback Data.

On 1080i, I see FPS= 29.97+/- 0.03. On 720p, I see FPS 59.98+/-
0.05.That's using OpenGL High Quality software.

However, on the Nvidia Shield TV 2017 edition the android
mythtv-frontend shows about the same data but 1080i is +/- 0.07 jumping
to 0.12 occasionally.  720p is +/- 0.11 and steady.

I think a lot of this panning problem is due to broadcast choices.  I
notice the bits per second on my major networks is about 3-4 GB per
hour, but the sub networks show reruns of the same shows at 0.8 GB per
hour. They also use 480p but the panning jitter is really bad.

Jim A