[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Nov 3 02:44:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 09:43:32 +1100, you wrote:

>> > Thirded. I know you said you want to run apps other than MythTV, but FYI
>> > I just bought a new Chromecast With Google TV and it runs MythTV
>> > Mythfrontend app and the Leanfront app fine. FYI for anyone else
>> > installing Mythfrontend, you need the 32 bit APK file.
>>
>> Do you get flawlessly smooth playback of 1080i content on that when
>> using Mythfrontend? I've yet to achieve that on anything ARM based,
>> although I haven't tried any very recent hardware.
>>

>Sorry, I don't know as I haven't tried it. I'm not sure if any of the
>Australian DVB-T broadcasts are 1080i. But the device is supposed to
>support 4K, so would that mean 1080i would be OK?

It is the i bit that is the problem usually.  Interlaced video seems
to cause problems - it either needs to be deinterlaced, or the
TV/monitor has to support the interlaced mode properly and do the
deinterlacing itself, but needs to be put into the right mode to do
that.  So 1080p (a higher mode than 1080i) is usually fine, but 1080i
may not be.  A typical problem seen with bad deinterlacing in either
the PC, GPU or TV/monitor is that during pan shots, you get jerky
movement - a "judder" of the whole picture.