[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Nov 2 14:12:43 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 05:56:23 -0500, you wrote:

>A big improvement is all the new motherboards have M-2 slots that
>support PCI3x4 NVMe 2280 SSD modules that support 3,500MB/s read speeds.

Actually, PCIe 4.0 is now available on the latest motherboard M.2
slots, and there are some PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs available.  At a price,
of course.  But the speeds are staggering.  This sort of thing in
combination with an up to date CPU would be really good for large
builds like kernels.  I have just updated my mother's MythTV box with
a decent Ryzen 3 system and matching NVMe SSD and the build time on
the TBS DVB-S2 drivers (a full V4L build) is less than a third of what
it takes on my MythTV box.  I am now planning upgrades for my systems,
as it is clearly worth doing now, even if you do not get high end
hardware.  But I am waiting to see what the local prices for the new
Ryzen releases will be before I decide - I really would like to be
able to get PCIe 4.0.  I think the planned release date is about 5th
Nov.