[mythtv-users] Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora

Jake mythmail at runbox.com
Sun May 31 23:50:36 UTC 2020

On 31/5/20 5:11 pm, Jake wrote:
> On 31/5/20 4:51 pm, Jake wrote:
>>
>> Today I tried to upgrade my Fedora 30 Media PC to Fedora 31. However
>> for reasons I don't understand the transaction test fails due to:
>> "
>> Error: Transaction test error:
>>   file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
>> installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
>> mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
>> "
>>
>> Why do two different packages supply the same file?
>>
>> Anyway, I've tried removing either of the two packages (rpm -e
>> <package> --nodeps) but the upgrade still fails due to that error.
>> For some reason Fedora keeps wanting to install mythtv-libs-30 not
>> mythtv-libs-31
>>

> I've managed to get through the 'dnf system-upgrade download' step by
> forcibly excluding 'mythffmpeg-31*' but I'm not feeling confident
> about doing the upgrade!  Any advice please?
>
> Full command which worked: 'sudo dnf system-upgrade download
> --releasever=31 --exclude mythffmpeg-31*'

Thank you to everyone who replied!

In the end I took a risk and did the 30 to 31 upgrade while excluding
the mythffmpeg-31* package.  Fedora upgraded without issue and MythTV
works afterwards, perhaps because there was another valid package to
supply the missing library?

Immediately after upgrading there were these packages available:

     Upgrade python3-future-0.18.2-2.fc31.noarch @updates
     Upgrade mytharchive-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-backend-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-base-themes-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-common-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-frontend-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-libs-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade mythtv-setup-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
     Upgrade python3-MythTV-31.0-1.fc31.noarch @rpmfusion-free-updates

which I installed.  I imagine these extra packages weren't installed in
the upgrade due to my use of the exclusion option.

Everything seems to have worked and I didn't need to use the test
versions of packages which were produced (thanks for that!).

My lesson from this is: Upgrade to the supported version of Fedora no
later than when two releases are available.  Fedora technically supports
3 versions at once (I think for around month after every new release)
but don't leave it that long!

Thanks again!

Jake