[mythtv-users] Leanfront 0-138 Black Background?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue May 26 20:24:36 UTC 2020

On 26/05/2020 18:24, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:04 AM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/05/2020 13:55, Tim Pletcher wrote:
>      >
>      >      >>>> >> If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making
>      >      >>>> configurable the
>      >      >>>> >> colour of bars above and below the video? The grey
>     is good for
>      >      >my
>      >      >>>> >> plasma TV, but I much prefer black. :-)
>      >
>      >
>      > Is there any possibility this is being caused by a non-optimal color
>      > space configuration leading to black lifting?
>      >
>      > I like to refer to the explanation given here:
>      > (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space).
>      >
>      > I don't use leanfront but I have found that if I don't ensure
>     everything
>      > is set up correctly with respect to Limited / Full and RGB /
>     YcBcR444
>      > for all the components in the chain (MythFrontend --> Video Card -->
>      > Recevier / TV) then I can end up with black that looks washed out
>     to grey.
>
>     Thanks for the thought, but no. I know that problem very well. The grey
>     bars are far too bright to be by that cause, and the picture otherwise
>     looks perfect.
>
>     Paul.
>

> It's been a while since I have had a plasma tv, but ISTR that the
> borders were black on it by default.  I had a Pioneer and the settings
> were input specific - you may want to make sure the settings are copied
> to all inputs and it may go away.
>
> When DirecTV first started broadcasting in 1080 back in the 90s, I had a
> rear projection HD behemoth.  I soon switched to plasma when it became
> available and had a line doubler inline with all my inputs passed
> through it (before HDMI was out).  It could detect telecine,
> progressive, pulldown, anamorphic, etc.  I only had the issue with
> certain formats (anamorphic 2:35:1 ISTR), but once I made the changes on
> my plasma, it went away.  Of course, it shortened the life of the plasma
> greatly and blacks quickly became dark greens, etc, but by then I was
> ready for a new TV anyhow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an AV receiver so I'm using just one
input on the TV for everything: Bluray player, Steam box, ion-PC-based
mythfrontend and Fire TV box. It's only the Fire TV box that produces
the grey bars and then only when using Leanfront. If it is the TV then
it still has to be triggered by Leanfront in some way (perhaps sending
blacker than black). The TV does have a setting for the bars, but it's
on black.

Another thing, when I bring up Leanfronts UI, the whole picture is
darkened as is common for UIs. When that happens the grey bars darken too.

Cheers,
	Paul.