[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat May 23 00:29:43 UTC 2020

Hi Stephen!

> Yes, mythfrontend does take a while before it shows on screen these
> days.  You do not notice if it just pops up during the boot process,
> but if you push a button and then have to wait...
Yes, “noticed” it usually takes a short while for the wired ‘regular’
computers too. The little RPi doing quite a job, especially as I’m also
making it do it all over the 5G WiFi.

Haven’t moved it downstairs yet but in the meantime installed VNC on it
so if the remote control fails or I accidentally get somewhere where
don’t have a remote button to push I can try up here.

> And I have learnt a bit about RPis too - no /tmp directory - sheesh
> how does that work?  There is heaps of software that relies on having
> /tmp available.  Including stuff I write.

I have one: it’s at /home/pi/tmp. The problem may be if the user (pi) is
changed so is that portion of the pathname. <Playing> OK: – and
presuming you know all this stuff better than I ever will --

ls tmp     Wants to look at a file called tmp

ls /tmp Looking at the subdir

ls /home/pi/tmp     Didn’t work. (I was thinking you could use
/home/$USER/tmp)

...Not a permissions issue: I just wrote a test file of
/tmp/Stephen.txt. You didn’t do like I’ve done and absentmindedly type
‘temp’?!

Barry