[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Thu May 21 03:38:24 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Matthew Daubenspeck <matt at oddprocess.org>
wrote:

> Just recently updated to mythtv 31.0 on Arch Linux. I moved the
> SchedulesDirect setup to tv_grab_zz_sdjson and am having a very strange
> thing happen which I can't figure out.
>
> If I run mythfilldatabase manually at the commandline, everything works
> perfectly. If I add it to a cron job, it fails with the following error:
>
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson  --capabilities failed or we timed out waiting. You
> may need to upgrade your xmltv grabber
>
> Grabbing XMLTV data using tv_grab_zz_sdjson is not supported. You may
> need to upgrade to the latest version of XMLTV.
>
> Again, it works perfectly, as long as it isn't run from cron and I can'tthe
> figure out why. Any suggestions?
>
> --
>   Matthew Daubenspeck
>   http://oddprocess.org

I also had this problem on Arch with the non-sqlite sdjson. My failure at
--capabilities was because the tv_grab_zz_sdjson from the xmltv package is
put in /usr/bin/vendor_perl,
which is not part of systemctl show-environment. I don't know why your cron
would fail, though.
I ended up creating a wrapper mfdb.sh to set PATH and start
mythfilldatabase, and then set the wrapper in mythtv-setup as the target.

Frank