[mythtv-users] frontend video smoothness

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:52:27 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:05 PM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/2020 18:24, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 18/05/2020 16:50, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> > I now have an easy way to test multiple frontends very quickly
>> switching
>> > between them to compare which is best.
>> >
>> > And as all of you know the best can be different depending on which
>> > video, which format, etc. I've found a short scene where the camera
>> pans
>> > past a number of people, and that motion makes the pan seem slightly
>> > jerk, but not bad, certainly it doesn't prevent enjoyable viewing of
>> the
>> > program.
>> >
>> > Hardware:
>> >
>> > Backend common for all frontends. Core i7 Ubuntu 18.04 server Mythtv
>> > v31. All video captured is MPEG2 USA OTA HD 1080i (1920x1080 at 30hz).
>> > Average bit rate is 10Mb/s.
>> >
>> > Frontends:
>> >
>> > 1. Core i7 with Nvidia GT 1030 fanless GFX card
>> >
>> > 2. Nvidia Shield TV running mythfrontend and leanfront.
>> >
>> > 3. RP3B+ with MPEG2 license.
>> >
>> > I would have guess before hand that the PC with the GT1030 would be the
>> > best, but it wasn't.
>>
>> Using DVB-T/T2 in the UK I find that the Leanfront on a 4K Firestick is
>> excellent when it works, but it still seems to need purely progressive
>> content and that often can't be guaranteed.  I have GT710s, which are
>> less capable than your GT1030, and they lack smoothness in panning when
>> using nvdec hardware decoding.  But with i5 4-core 3 GHz software
>> decoding, playback is as smooth as I get from DLNA or the leanback on
>> appropriate content.  I haven't seen what newer and cheaper devices can
>> do, but I'm sceptical.  I think you ought to try software decoding on
>> your i7.
>>
>> And I recently noticed that the leanfront seems to work well with live
>> DVB-T mpeg2 material, while recordings now have good audio but the video
>> pauses briefly about once a second and sync is terrible...
>>
>> John P
>>

>> > ratings:
>> >
>> > 1.  Nvidia Shield TV Leanfront.
>> >
>> > 2.  PC with GT1030 mythfrontend
>> >
>> > 3. Nvidia Shield TV mythfrontend
>> >
>> > 4. RPi3B+ Kodi 18.6
>> >
>> > 5. RPi3B+ mythfrontend
>> >
>> > It's good to see that mythtv frontends are good on a lot of platforms.
>> > Thanks to all the developers.
>> >
>> > Jim A
>> >

> With v31 of the Frontend playback on Intel hardware using VAAPI is very
> good. It may be worth unplugging a cheap Nvidia card and trying the onboard
> graphics.
>
> In my case the Intel hardware is  about 8 years old. Core i7 yes, but
Sandy Bridge generation. It is really doing a good job with the GT1030
installed. My test video clip is the first I've found that shows the
Nvida Shield TV running Leanfront to be the best.

What this means to me is that I have proof that for my needs, if I had to
start over, my backend would be an RPi4 4GB with HDHR Quatro and my
frontend would be a Shield TV.

I just hope I don't have to start over.  Some people collect vintage wine.
I have vintage PCs. I have 3 Sandy Bridge Core i7 PC all doing useful
work.  It's fun keeping them alive.

Jim A