[mythtv-users] frontend video smoothness

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:54:04 UTC 2020

On 18/05/2020 16:50, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I now have an easy way to test multiple frontends very quickly switching
> between them to compare which is best.
>
> And as all of you know the best can be different depending on which
> video, which format, etc. I've found a short scene where the camera pans
> past a number of people, and that motion makes the pan seem slightly
> jerk, but not bad, certainly it doesn't prevent enjoyable viewing of the
> program.
>
> Hardware:
>
> Backend common for all frontends. Core i7 Ubuntu 18.04 server Mythtv
> v31. All video captured is MPEG2 USA OTA HD 1080i (1920x1080 at 30hz).
> Average bit rate is 10Mb/s.
>
> Frontends:
>
> 1. Core i7 with Nvidia GT 1030 fanless GFX card
>
> 2. Nvidia Shield TV running mythfrontend and leanfront.
>
> 3. RP3B+ with MPEG2 license.
>
> I would have guess before hand that the PC with the GT1030 would be the
> best, but it wasn't.

Using DVB-T/T2 in the UK I find that the Leanfront on a 4K Firestick is
excellent when it works, but it still seems to need purely progressive
content and that often can't be guaranteed.  I have GT710s, which are
less capable than your GT1030, and they lack smoothness in panning when
using nvdec hardware decoding.  But with i5 4-core 3 GHz software
decoding, playback is as smooth as I get from DLNA or the leanback on
appropriate content.  I haven't seen what newer and cheaper devices can
do, but I'm sceptical.  I think you ought to try software decoding on
your i7.

And I recently noticed that the leanfront seems to work well with live
DVB-T mpeg2 material, while recordings now have good audio but the video
pauses briefly about once a second and sync is terrible...

John P