[mythtv-users] frontend video smoothness

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:50:27 UTC 2020

I now have an easy way to test multiple frontends very quickly switching
between them to compare which is best.

And as all of you know the best can be different depending on which
video, which format, etc. I've found a short scene where the camera pans
past a number of people, and that motion makes the pan seem slightly
jerk, but not bad, certainly it doesn't prevent enjoyable viewing of the
program.

Hardware:

Backend common for all frontends. Core i7 Ubuntu 18.04 server Mythtv
v31. All video captured is MPEG2 USA OTA HD 1080i (1920x1080 at 30hz).
Average bit rate is 10Mb/s.

Frontends:

1. Core i7 with Nvidia GT 1030 fanless GFX card

2. Nvidia Shield TV running mythfrontend and leanfront.

3. RP3B+ with MPEG2 license.

I would have guess before hand that the PC with the GT1030 would be the
best, but it wasn't.

ratings:

1.  Nvidia Shield TV Leanfront.

2.  PC with GT1030 mythfrontend

3. Nvidia Shield TV mythfrontend

4. RPi3B+ Kodi 18.6

5. RPi3B+ mythfrontend

It's good to see that mythtv frontends are good on a lot of platforms.
Thanks to all the developers.

Jim A