[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within)

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun May 17 11:15:30 UTC 2020

On 17/05/2020 09:45, Tim Draper wrote:

> I've had this issue on my Shield with v30, but now i'm seeing it on
> all my v31 FE's too which has made it a whole lot easier to debug.
>
> In Videos, there is no gallery-view text for each video - it's like
> the text is #000000 as you can see gaps in the horizontal lines for
> 'decender' letters (p,q,j,y etc), however turns out it's an outline
> colour issue.
>
> First up, i'm not a themer. While I've tried i simply don't have the
> time to create my own or spend excessive time adapting an existing
> (i'd love to see mythAeon & Readability themes back working,so maybe
> this is the start of a slippery slope...). The problem with Mythbuntu
> is within base.xml, starting at line 61:
>
>     <fontdef name="basesmallblackoutline" from="basesmall">
>     <color>#bcbcbc</color>
>     <outlinecolor>#000000</outlinecolor>
>     <outlinesize>4</outlinesize>
>     </fontdef>
>
> Specifically the <outlinecolor> and <outlinesize> (line 63&64) need to
> be removed. Not sure what changed to make the outline break things as
> git shows the latest commit in 2018, but this fixes the videos menu UI.
> Clearly the outline is so intense that it just hiding #bcbcbc and i
> found the only way to make it look right is to remove outline tags
> completely.
>
> I'm happy to re-learn git and submit a fix, i guess i'm seeking
> confirmation that this is a proper solution from the wiser amongst
> us... it appears to work and none of the common areas i'm using in the
> GUI appear to be negatively affected...
>
> Next up is to add the new deinterlacer info to the OSDDEBUG....

I can see the problem with current master as well.

It's the <outlinesize> size of 4 that is causing the problem and is
making the black outline obliterate the grey text. Since the background
is also black it has the effect of making the text invisible. If you
change the <outlinecolor> to #ff0000 you can see what is happening
better since that makes the outline color red.

Reducing the outline size to say 1 improves the problem but still looks
bad. I would change all the references of 'basesmallblackoutline' to
'basesmallgrey' in video-ui.xml and remove  the 'basesmallblackoutline'
fontdef from base.xml since it's not used anywhere else. That looks a
lot better to my eyes but it's not my theme to mess with.

A quick tip if you want to start playing around with themes is you can
make changes to say video-ui.xml in ~/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu and to
see the changes just exit out of the screen in the frontend and back in
again and you should see the changes you made. If you make changes to
base.xml though then you will have to restart the frontend to see the
changes. There is a jumppoint called 'Reload Theme' that you can set to
lets say Ctrl-R that you can then use to reload the theme without
restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what affect changing
something in base.xml does).

Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and 'Toggle
Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out to see what
they do if you can't guess already :)

Paul H.