[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun May 17 00:31:26 UTC 2020

Hi Stephen!

It’s so simple when one knows the answers! You’re a good teacher to this
student!

I don’t know if the irexec option works or not. For my purposes it
seemed better to have the RPi boot to MythTV, though if I
accidentally/absentmindedly exit to the Desktop I can’t get back in
without pulling the plug (for the location would prefer just the one TV
Remote). Could use ssh or VNC.

I think I just talked myself into use a button on the remote! Will play
with irexec probably tomorrow.

In the meantime had gotten an autostart to work. The current Raspbian is
Buster and the Desktop is LXDE-pi. I didn’t find a GUI method so off to
Terminal! Edit the file */etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart* by adding
the line */usr/bin/mythfrontend* to the end. Reboot.

I was using my backup SD card which seems slower compared to the primary
card and I did see the Desktop background picture for about
three-quarters of a second before displaying the MythTV menu. More or
less stated for any others finding us so they know what to expect.

LIS. I think loading with a button on the remote is a better idea,
considering the preference for using the original TV’s remote. (Not that
I don’t appreciate Monkey Pet’s remote suggestion.)

Barry