[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed May 13 20:53:04 UTC 2020

Hi Stephen!

> ls -ald /dev/lircd

No such file or the RPi puts it elsewhere so looked, then I read later
where

> If you do not have a /dev/lircd

and the installation commands

> sudo su
> cd /etc/systemd/system
> wgethttp://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lircd-dev.service
> chown root:root lircd-dev.service
> chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r lircd-dev.service
> systemctl enable lircd-dev.service
> systemctl start lircd-dev.service
> exit

Recheck ls -ald /dev/lircd ==> now get the /lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15
May 10 04:51 /dev/lircd -> /run/lirc/lircd/ result (with my timestamp).

> Then either change all the "remote = devinput" lines to "remote =
> seiki", or in the Seiki_LIRC.conf file change the "name seiki" line to
> "name devinput" and it should start working.

I decided to use the ‘b’ option: only one item to change (though
Find-and-Replace wouldn’t be much work!) plus I’m considering cloning
the SD card to use on a second (TV) set – naturally a different brand
and remote! One master backup SD card would make things a little easier.

> sudo systemctl restart lircd
>
> And after installing (or editing) the .lirc/* files, you need to
> restart mythfrontend (or restart your "ircat mythtv" command if you
> are using that to test with).

Here I’ll admit to not following instructions on purpose (!) I had had
to power boot because the RPi had locked up – nothing due to your
commands but when when I inserted the thumbdrive a tiny bit of static
electricity even though I had touched metals (metal ring of the
thumbdrive connector to finger and finger to metal case of RPi).

So ended up with a fresh boot since Mythfrontend was started and figured
I’d try. *Yea!! The Seiki Remote works!! * At least up here on the
monitor – will move down to where the TV is later. (Will work, just have
to see what happens with both the TV and RPi looking at the same remote,
though TV vs HDMI Input on the TV may make that difference.)

Will have to figure what key on the remote does what but the basic
functions of moving highlighted text with the arrow keys works so I’m
presuming all assigned keys work; may have to tweak with Edit Keys but
that’s expected.

So once again a Big Thank You!!

Barry