[mythtv-users] segfault in libmysqlclient.so.21

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:42:24 UTC 2020

On 5/13/20 1:16 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 13/05/2020 17:34, Peter Bennett wrote:
>

>> On 5/13/20 7:48 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> For reference someone has reported the bug to Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> The bug was showing as affecting only one person (the reporter Kim
>> Tyler)
>>
>> Please login to ubuntu and click where it says "this bug affects x
>> people. Does it affect you?" .
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Hi Peter,
>

> Done that and the Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug
> affects multiple users.
>
> I also added a simple Qt test app that can be used to easily reproduce
> the bug taking  MythTV out of the equation.
>
> I wonder if they will say it's nothing to do with MySQL since it
> appears to only affect users using MariaDB for the server side of things.
>
> I tried to remove libmysqlclient21 so I could try libmariadb3 but that
> wanted to remove a lot more than just libmysqlclient21 so looks like
> that's not going to work.
>

> Paul H.

Looking at the code, it seems we do not ever delete the mythdb instance.
There is a method MythDB::destroyMythDB() that is never called. I found
that by adding a call to this to the end of each program, at the end of
main() before the return, the segfault goes away.

Is this an oversight? Perhaps we do not clean up the database connection
correctly?

There may be a better place to put the call to MythDB::destroyMythDB().
Otherwise I can add it to each program's main() function to prevent this
seg fault.

Any opinions on this? Should I make this change?

Peter