[mythtv-users] find_orphans.py not working as expected

Gary Raposo gary at raposo.ca
Wed May 13 17:58:48 UTC 2020

Hello all,

During this extended period of physical distancing, I decided to rebuild
my MythTV system. Overall it was a fairly smooth process and I'm now
running MythTV 31 (installed from the RPM Fusion repo) on Fedora 31.
Everything seems to be working as expected except for find_orphans.py.
On my previous system I was using the old myth.find_orphans.pl so this
is my first experience with find_orphans.py. My ultimate goal is to
schedule find_orphans.py to run on a regular basis so that it will send
an email if it encounters any issues.

I've copied the code from https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py
(find_orphans.py (for v31+)) and it runs but the results are a little
confusing. Basically find_orphans.py returns every single recording as
"Recordings with missing files".

$ ./find_orphans.py
Recordings with missing files
   odysseus: Saturday Night Live - SNL At
Home                                10201_20200510032700.ts
Count:         127
Please select from the following
  1. Delete orphaned recording entries
  2. Refresh list

I can confirm that the relevant files are in the recordings directory
(e.g., 10201_20200510032700.ts). I can see and play the recording via
mythfrontend as well as mythweb. Everything seems to be in order except
for the find_orphans.py output.

Is anyone else having issues with find_orphans.py? I'm not proficient
with Python so looking for any tips, tricks, or guidance on how to get
find_orphans.py working.

Thanks!
Gary