[mythtv-users] Sudden choppy playback

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed May 13 13:09:00 UTC 2020

On 03/05/2020 14:52, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On May 3, 2020, at 6:36 AM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After updating my system (will I ever learn!) playback has suddenly gone very choppy on my main frontend. It's an old Liva mini computer that I plug into my projector.
>>
>> Playback has been fine for years. It uses onboard Intel graphics.
>>
>> My first thought was Myth, so I've tried playing videos outside of MythTV. They are still choppy (I guess that makes this an off-topic post, but it's all related to video playback, so hopefully no one minds).
>>

> Are you using the VAAPI or VAAPI2  driver within mythtv. I also have an ECS LIVA, and found similar problems. Try switching between the 2 of them. Also try toggling the type of de-interlacing as well. I found that some of the deinterlacing types require more processing power, causing the choppy problems you describe.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay

Now that I've got MythTV back up and running, I'm back to try to fix the
choppy playback.

My Liva machine used to play things fine. Now, there's an annoying level
of stuttering. If ranges from frustrating to unwatchable.

I have tried both vaapi options in MytvTV. Both seem to give roughly the
same results.

Is is likely that the current driver is simply worse, for my hardware,
than an older one was?

If so, how can I try different drivers?

I have tried. I found a page that listed different i965 deb files, but
they either didn't install correctly or did and didn't improve things.

I'd love get get the little Liva box working properly again, but I'm
close to abandoning it.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Damian